Wednesday, March 9, 2011

NICU

After Devlin was born we spent a few days just enjoying being a family of four. However, due to work Travis had to travel to North Carolina for a few days. Since he was flying out of Salt Lake City we drove down to Utah and dropped him off at the airport with many tears (I just had a baby, of course I cried). Then we went to my parent's house to spend the next two weeks.

Now before we left for Utah we went to the hospital in Wyoming and had some newborn blood drawn, hearing test etc. Devlin looked a little jaundice but we were told that he didn't look bad enough to worry about it and that it should clear up soon. In Utah I was a little hyper worried and called back to Wyoming and was told to drink lots of water and have feedings every 2 hours. Of course I was drinking like a fish, feeding every two hours and Devlin was pooping regularly but didn't seem to get better.

Travis flew back to Salt Lake for a lay over and we were able to see him before he flew to Casper. I told him my worries which also included Devlin being a little lethargic, but thought that maybe I was being just an over excited new mom. Travis said that Devlin didn't look better to him either. That was what I needed to hear. I took Devlin to Primary Children's Emergency Room. We had 2 nurses look at him and 2 doctors check him out. They said he looked a little jaundice but not too bad and they would draw some bloodwork including a bilirubin but that they might just send us home with some lights.

Devlin was put under lights in the ER while we waited and had an IV placed. (I HATED THAT PART-he screamed, I cried) After about 15 minutes, the results were in and the physician was in my room telling me that Devlin was being admitted to the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) immediately because something was wrong and his bilirubin level was 28.6. For those that don't know, that is scary high, a 30 is the beginning of brain damage.

The nurse, who was amazing, came in and took my diaper bag, rolled the Devlin "train" and led us up to the NICU. This was happening so fast. We get up to the NICU and Devlin is put in an isolation room and there is 2 nurses, 2 nurse practitioners, a neonatalogist plus the ER nurse all there working on my baby. One nurse practitioner asks questions and gets contact information and offers to call my husband. The neonatalogist sits down with me and explains the seriousness of what is going on. All I kept thinking is it was just a little jaundice. How did this happen? A feeling of being overwhelmed overcomes me. I am crying but trying to keep it together and listen and give accurate information. Then the nurse practitioner comes back saying Travis' cell phone is not working. I can't reach my husband and I am feeling alone and scared.

The Dr. says that they will be working on my baby for a while and that a nurse will show me around, where the pumping room is, how to code in so I can come see my son. This is all happening around 630pm. Shift changes are between 630-730pm and all visitors and parents are not allowed in the NICU. So I am then told I need to wait in the waiting room for an hour.

I go to the waiting room and am all alone and cry. I call my parents who are watching Olivia and they say not to worry about Liv and said that if I need them, one of them could come over. I tell them that right now I am okay (total lie) and we all try to reach Travis. Then I will let them know.

Meantime a young man (early 20's) comes in the waiting room. I am obviously distressed and he asks me about my baby. Then he tells me about his baby. They had been in the NICU for 3 weeks right after delivery and will be there for about 1-2 more weeks. Then another couple enter the waiting room, they have been there a month and there is no end in sight yet for their little baby. My heart goes out to these parents. I have had my baby with me at home for a week. There is an immediate sense of friendship and I realize that I have just joined an exclusive club.

Finally the hour wait is over and I can go see my baby. He looked like this:




The nurse for the night shift was so nice. Devlin has his very own nurse, which is comforting that their sole responsibility their entire shift is my baby. I am told I cannot breastfeed so I have to pump. I also cannot hold him but I can touch him as long as I don't block the lights. The first night was so long.

I finally received a phone call from Travis and told him what was going on. His co-worker (whom he was staying with for a couple days) took him over to the Casper airport to see when he could fly to Utah. The next flight wasn't until the morning and they didn't think they could transfer his ticket that was for the following week. It was going to cost a substantial amount of money to get a new ticket. Travis went back to his co-worker's house and called me and we talked about him not being able to come for another day. I cried, but there was not a lot he could do in Utah but comfort me. I went back to my parent's house really late and kissed Olivia and fell asleep next to her.

First thing the next morning I get a phone call from Travis. He was in Utah!!! I run upstairs ask my parents to watch Olivia and rush over to the airport. A little miracle happened that morning. Travis went to the airport that morning asked the ticket agent if he could get a ticket. They said that their was no way. He asked them to look again. The guy looked Travis up in their computer and somehow, Travis had a plane ticket for that morning already. He was able to fly to Utah! (the closest we can guess is that the person he spoke to the night before, had compassion with our situation and gave Travis a ticket for the morning)

We head over to the hospital and Travis asks if their is anyone who can help bless our boy. The nurse makes a phone call and the branch president of the Primary Childrens Hospital Branch comes to administer to my son. I love the priesthood. I love that I am married to a man that honors the priesthood and is able to bless me and my children. It was a beautiful blessing of healing. My heart is calmed. The branch president invites us to join in church services on Sunday. The meeting is only 30 minutes long so that patients can get back to treatments and families don't have to be apart for very long.

Over the next few days we spend most of our time at the bedside of our little guy. He got another IV placed:


Notice that both of his arms are now wrapped up.

We get to know the nursing staff, the nurse practitioners, the neonatalogists, the receptionists and the clerk at the hospital cafe. We also have a special bond with the other parents. We see each other and ask about and pray for each others babies.

We attend church. Their are not words to describe the spirit that was felt there. It was by far the most spiritually touching meeting I have ever been to. Their were patients, parents, siblings, nurses and doctors in attendance. It was fast Sunday and the testimonies that were born were touching and inspirational.

Meantime, our son is getting better. There is no definitive answer as to what caused his high bilirubin levels but he was getting better. I was able to start nursing again the last two days he was in the hospital. It was so nice to hold him close again. His levels went back up. But nothing like before. My family was amazing at chipping in time to watch Liv. I owe everyone so much. Here are two pics of Liv after spending time with my sister. We came home to them looking like this:



The difficult part is his levels did get high enough that there is a chance he could have some brain damage but we wont know until he is older and through different stages of development. I am at peace that all is well. He is still perfect to me.

Here is his last day in the hospital.

I am so grateful to all the hospital staff and my Father in Heaven for all the miracles. The neonatalogist said that if this had happened in Wyoming that Devlin would have to have been life flighted to Primary Childrens and the results could have been different.



When we brought him home, Liv wouldn't let go of him. My beautiful babies!!!

6 comments:

Dinee said...

Oh girl, you made me cry and not just a little bit. You should have called me!! I would have come up that first night. I am so glad Travis was able to come back to SLC and I think you should just move back here.
That hospital is a very special place and I feel that everytime we go. My heart aches for the parents with the pink bracelets on, and I still have mine from when Addie was there. However, my heart breaks more for the children there. I am reminded each time we go just how blessed we are...things could be so much worse. It is a humbling experience to be there.
Tay and I attended Sacrament Meeting there while Addie was inpatient. That is undoubtedly the most spiritual meeting I have ever attended and I will never forget it. I told Tay I wanted to get my records transferred there. I remember a sweet NICU granpda giving the closing prayer and I fully expected him to bless all the children there that they would get well and go home. He didn't. He blessed them that they would be able to have the Spirit with them through their trials and that those who would not go home would be comforted. Oh yeah, I bawled.
I am sorry you've had to go through this, but I'm so glad you were in Utah when it happened. I am thankful the Lord was and still is watching out for you and your little family!

Dinee said...

I forgot to mention how adorable that last picture is. I love Devlin's little smile as he cuddles with his sister!

Bri!!! said...

Oh my sweet Amy, what a nightmare. I am so sorry you had to be alone that first night. I cannot imagine. I am so grateful you listened to your mothers intuition about him not being ok. You saved his life. My heart ached as I read this post. I'm so glad you shared it with us. I am so grateful he is doing well and that baby is just too beautiful. Love and prayers sent your way.

Bri!!! said...

.

carley said...

I hate that your trip to utah consisted of being in the NICU. I'm so glad to hear that Devlin was able to go home with you, it's so sad to hear of those stories of the babies that are there for weeks on end with no end in sight, breaks my heart. I'm so glad Travis was able to get a flight out to utah, and I don't believe it was by coincidence that he had a ticket waiting for him. You have an amazing man and I bet it was killing him not being there. and can i just say your little Livy is getting SO big!! Loved the pictures :) thinking about you guys.
love, carley

Jennilyn said...

OH our heart goes out to you and your family. What a scary thing to go through. I hope little Devlin gets better. We will keep you in your prayers.